Valley News Desk

Medical Seats In Jammu & Kashmir Colleges Reserved For Local NEET Qualifiers

Srinagar, Sep 16: All medical seats in Jammu and Kashmir have been reserved for the local NEET qualifiers this year.

After the abrogation of article 370 and bifurcation of the state into two union territories, there were apprehensions that applicants from the rest of the country might also get enrolled in Medical and Dental colleges of Jammu and Kashmir.

However, Jammu and Kashmir government has decided that 100% medical seats will be reserved for the local NEET qualifiers.

On September 13, around 25000 students appeared in the NEET examination in Kashmir.An official of the Board of Professional Entrance Examination (BOPEE) said that the government has given directives to reserve 100 percent seats for local students of Jammu and Kashmir for session 2020.

Chairman BOPEE Shafiq Ahmad Raina told The Kashmir Monitor that this year no admission will be granted to the students from other parts of the country. “Only local NEET qualifiers will be enrolled in the medical colleges,” he said.

Raina, however, noted that no admission will be granted to the students who will not produce a domicile certificate during counseling.

“It is mandatory for every selected student to produce a domicile certificate at the time of counseling. In case any student has not received a domicile certificate, he or she has to give an undertaking. This applies for 2020 only. We have no information about next year,” Raina said.

Earlier in January, the Administrative Council had decided that the Jammu and Kashmir will continue with its existing scheme regarding admissions to undergraduate and postgraduate courses under NEET. The Union Territory shall not contribute to all India quota for the academic year 2020-21.

The decision was taken in view of the fact that the Union Territory of J&K has its own reservation policy.

Under the framework for NEET, which oversees admissions to medical colleges across India, each state can reserve 85 percent of seats for local residents.The remaining 15 percent seats constitute All India quota.

Follow Us On
Valley News Desk